Barcelona are hoping for “a positive response” from Bayern Munich after they made an offer for their Polish striker Robert Lewandowski, club president Joan Laporta said on Thursday. “We have made an offer for the player, we are waiting for the response, we will see if it is positive,” Laporta said during the presentation of new signing Andreas Christensen. Bayern have previously insisted that Lewandowski, who has expressed his desire to leave the German champions this summer, must fulfill his contract which expires in June 2023.
“We thank the player (Lewandowski) for all the displays he has made to show that he wants to come,” Laporta said.
The 33-year-old striker, twice voted FIFA’s Best Men’s Player, scored 238 Bundesliga goals in 252 appearances in eight years for Bayern.
Laporta said he wanted to show respect for Bayern and did not specify the amount of the offer. However, he dismissed rumors that the German club, suspicious of Barca’s economic situation, wanted to pay for Lewandowski’s transfer in advance.
“I don’t believe it,” Laporte said. “I believe it’s information from a cat and it was a joke. It’s not from Bayern.”
At the end of June, the German press reported that Baraa had offered Bayern 40 million euros plus 5 million euros in bonuses for the Pole.
“We made an offer and now they have to weigh it,” Laporta said, without giving further details.
During the same press conference, the club’s sporting adviser, Jordi Cruyff, confirmed the probable departure of French defender Clément Lenglet who should soon be loaned to Tottenham.
“We are very close to a departure, it will be announced when it is official,” Cruyff said.
(This story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)
Topics discussed in this article