Manchester City have had their £30million bid for Cucurella rejected

0

Loading player…

Brighton & Hove Albion have reportedly turned down Manchester City’s opening offer of £30million for left-back Marc Cucurella. The 23-year-old is believed to be Pep Guardiola’s top priority for the remaining summer transfer window as he attempts to replace Oleksandr Zinchenko, who is heading to Arsenal.

Zinchenko is said to have a four-year contract at the Emirates Stadium, and City have reportedly agreed to transfer him for an initial fee of £30million. Zinchenko was seen wearing Arsenal’s training uniform on Wednesday in Orlando, where the Gunners are stationed for their pre-season tour of the United States.

With Zinchenko heading for the exit, City have now stepped up their efforts to sign Cucurella, although as things stand they and Brighton are still at odds over the Spanish player’s transfer fee.

The Premier League winners reportedly made an opening bid of around £30million, which is comparable to the sum they would be paid by Arsenal for Zinchenko, but Brighton rejected their offer.

According to The Athletic, City are ready to raise their initial bid for Cucurella but are prepared to back down if Brighton do not reduce their £50million asking price.

Further talks are expected to take place in the coming days as negotiations between the two clubs are believed to be in their early stages.

On Thursday morning (GMT), when asked about City’s pursuit of Cucurella, Guardiola told reporters he already had three players at his disposal who can play at left-back.

“We are in negotiation. If this does not happen, we have alternatives. [Joao] To cancel, [Josh] Wilson-Esbrand is a young talent, [Nathan] Ake can play it,”;

Guardiola said after City’s 2-1 friendly win over Club America in Houston.

Guardiola may have made his remarks, but according to a recent source, City have identified Stuttgart left-back Borna Sosa as a potential target should their pursuit of Cucurella fail.

Cucurella just signed a five-year contract with the Seagulls last summer after leaving Getafe for £15.4million.

Brighton chairman Tony Bloom said earlier this summer that the club would not stand in the way of the defender if he received a good offer.

“[Marc] was incredibly good last season, his first season in the Premier League. We hope others will come and we haven’t had an offer for him,” he added.

Bloom told The Argus.

“We have to be realistic if a certain offer comes in and the player wants to move, the player will move, but we’re not anticipating, we’re not looking for our best players to move on.”

At the end of the previous month, speculation over Cucurella’s potential transfer to the Etihad Stadium increased after the Spaniard liked an Instagram post from Fabrizio Romano announcing Kalvin Phillips’ deal to join the Citizens.

For more sports updates, please follow us on Twitter

Details

  • Released: 1 hour and 7 minutes ago

Share.

Comments are closed.